supercool: my alter-ego gets into dj mag, as well as the 20/20 event. here’s what we had before the final edit onto the page…
- names: toby harris
- location: london… but it all came together under the concrete brutalism and bass-bins of birmingham.
- style: *spark is the audio-visual producer and performer, my alter-ego with an eye for the graphic. whether raw for a dnb allnighter or refined for my work creating a kind of live cinema, its all about fusing video with motion graphics and creating a canvas with the complexity and temporal texture that underpins the music we’re so used to.
- technique: i’ve been leading from the front of the laptop revolution, there’s just no way you could do what i do without. having mastered the reaktor-like vidvox vdmx, i’m now on a whole new plane tying it together with ableton live.
- other skills: behind the scenes i’ve helped promo directors turn their five-minute videos into vj-sets for acts going on tour, even hardwiring that set into an extension of the act’s live rig.
- previous gigs: march 4th saw my commission to turn rbn_esc, my showpiece vj set, into a full audiovisual production premiered at 20/20 in newcastle. i had seven channels of sound, three layers of video, 30 minutes of performance, and a critical audience from the north east’s av festival going on at the time… a baptism of fire.
- upcoming gigs: i’m currently hunkered down in the studio refining the audio work in ‘rbn_esc’ before it sees its london debut and developing an av breaks remix of the car chase of choice for the summer festivals.